Tuesday, April 20, 2010

When Harry Potter Went to Church...

Sorry for my long absence from the blogosphere! I've been pretty busy with exams approaching. In fact, I have French Orals this week! But still, it's no excuse for treating you all this way...

So recently I've found myself again debating with other Christians who seem to have found some interpretation of the Bible that tells them exactly what's what in todays world. I really want this Bible because apparently it says: "Harry Potter is 'demon ting' " and "Rock music is evil".


WOW!

People of Christian faith, I am telling you now, as I have said before and will always say.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with Harry Potter! No one can imagine how furious I was when there was that period with all the burnings of the books and marches etc. If there are two things every man should live by they are:
1. Don't ever burn a book! EVER. 
2. Don't make your faith look stupid and ignorant.

I have made these points in my own church when I was much younger. When I was reading the HP Series, I would purposely take it to church and hold it together with my Bible. It was an invitation for debate and did I love it! To put it nicely... I definitely shut them up. I still don't think they agree with me but they can't really argue against me since I've already disproved most of their theories about the books. 
Put simply, HP is a great book and movie series. It's amazing young adult literature full of original ideas and a well developed plot line and can do nothing but benefit young hungry minds. 

Next up.... 
Rock music. Where did this argument that you cannot praise God with Rock music come from? Music is a medium through which anything can be expressed. A guy in my school was under the impression that you cannot praise God with rock because you cannot play rock with a pure heart. Apparently we must look at the roots of rock and because it originated with social rebellion and 'impure hearts' we cannot play it. Another is that 'Lucifer was the angel of music so he controls music and rock is Lucifer's music'.
Why? Because some fools make back masked tracks? Some heavy metal rock bands are satanists? All of that means NOTHING. 

I guess the real reason I'm so upset is that these 'true Christians' who shun rock and HP Books, like to pretend like they have been blessed with this knowledge. As my message to them and partly as my own acceptance of the fact... Nobody KNOWS. I do not KNOW. They cannot KNOW. So stop acting like you KNOW.