Saturday, May 21, 2011

Welcome to the Cesspit For Your Lives

Sometimes I wonder if I walk around with that plastered to my forehead...
Now don't get me wrong, I almost enjoy being a dumping site, I feel like people only tell their real issues to people they trust and consider close friends. But it amazes me just how many people are comfortable enough with me to do that! It's ridiculous, really. And I've heard it all, I mean it, not that I'm gonna let out any secrets here of course, but there's nothing you can tell me that will cause me any genuine surprise... I'm sure of that.
My friends have started to notice too. Sometimes something big may get out and they'll tell me about it: "Hey OMG did you hear..." And usually my response is now:  "Yeh they told me..."

Now myself and several people have a couple theories concerning this phenomenon. Perhaps I'm just a super friendly and trustworthy person. Or maybe I just tend to accept more crap than the average person because I have my own issues to deal with but use dealing with others' as a distraction (Hmmmm O.o).
One thing's for sure.... when you come to me... I CANNOT JUDGE YOU. I can advise, give my opinion, but I can never say what you did was wrong. I don't know I guess it's just that if you mustered up the courage to tell me something personal, who am I to turn around on you and crush you?
Oh and I'm a super great listener! I rather listen than talk, and I've realised a lot of the time, my friends feel better by simply talking about their stuff. You don't need to respond because most  of time, your response won't mean much. But empathy is much more powerful than sympathy.... try it...

But yes I've realised that waste disposal is a dangerous business. Full of things that must not be repeated, sticky situations, and delicate responses. And while it'd probably be wiser and all-round healthier to stick this sign up...

I quite enjoy the one that's up right now... :)