Friday, February 5, 2010

AS Maths

Okay guys so I've been wondering... how many kids learn Advanced Subsidiary Maths at 14? In Trinidad a lot of us do it as an Add Maths course - actually no... most of the people starting it are 15. But a few of us skipped... and landed in mathematic hell.
Okay so it's not that bad but ask a 14 year old from somewhere else to find the area under a curve and then the volume when rotated 360 degrees or to find the stationary points of a curve using differentiation. And we haven't even done Iteration or ln yet, but we've done logs... I don't know, but it doesn't seem to me that this is the normal sort of work a 14 year old is subjected to.
Take a look at this paper if you want to see (and this one is pretty easy)... GCE Core Mathematics C2 AS
Maybe it's just because I was at AS Maths lessons today but the thought just crossed my mind.
So tell me can most people my age do this??

12 comments:

Arya ^_^ said...

wow..isint 14 kind of early?! 'cuz we are learning that stuff now . i checked out the paper. And lot of topics like the Binomial theorem expansion , and some topics of trigo are being taught to us now..but rest i did learn it in earlier grades

Levi said...

Hmm... well I have this exam in 3 months so :P

groovacious said...

some look familiar but some I'm just like "whaaaat?" and I'm 17.

Arya ^_^ said...

All The Best :)

Levi said...

Thanks lol

Kabeer said...

levee! tis been a while since we communicated in blog form.
Yeah, AS maths sucks, but hey just think of it as you're much smarter than other 14 year olds lol.

Levi said...

LOL Kabeer and yes it's awesome to be back on the blogosphere

A novel approach said...

Hey. My name is Sarah i'm 14.I'm new to reading you're blog but so far so good:)
Wow! I don't really understand what maths assessment your talking about (I guess we don't have it here in NZ) but it sounds challenging.I'm doing accelerate Geography but thats the extent of my smartness.
Thank-you for blogging:P

Levi said...

Hey Sarah- that's my sister's name by the way - Thanks for Reading my blog... A bit of encouragement is always welcome! The AS Maths course is British so you guys probably don't use it. It's cool that you do Accelerated Geography. And wow New Zealand's so far away!

A novel approach said...

Yea I guess we are far away but to me you seem even further away.
Good luck with your study!

Levi said...

Thanks!!

Dari Debauchery said...

thank you for posting this, it's made me really grateful that i didn't decided to go into the science class. Which, at my school does CAPE mathematics at CSEC level :/

Post a Comment