Friday, May 8, 2009

Holy Confusion!?

I stared up at the magnificent full moon, more a pale yellow than white, my CD of James Ehnes playing "Paganini's 24 Caprices for Violin" soothing everyone in the car... well except for my sister who hates the stuff; leaving my mom and I. So I sat in the front passenger seat, ridiculously swaying my hands like a conductor to the music, as we turned a corner and my church came into view. The girls (Sarah, Leah, Alicia, Rebecca and Tracy) were already waiting along with our pastor who was chatting away with another man, brother Paul. Some sat in the ring of chairs that had been set out in the lawn, others preferring to stand in clusters not too far away. We pulled into the front of the church and stepped out of the vehicle not generating more than couple upward glances with the exception of little Leah, the youngest of the group, who called out,"Good night!" before bouncing nonchalantly over to us to show off her new touch-screen MP4 Player she'd gotten for her birthday yesterday.
I guess the reason for this lack-luster response to our arrival was that my sister was too young to cause much excitement for anyone besides Leah and that I was more or less the outcast of the group. The term outcast not referring to them being exclusive but to the fact that I was different. For instance, I was the only one who didn't really use Trinidadian dialect, and the only teen who'd ever be caught playing a classical violin CD in the car (yes I do listen to normal stuff too).
"Okay gather around" announced Pastor Raul from the ring of chairs, signaling the beginning of Youth Meeting. The theme today was simply Good vs Evil and how to go to God in the battle with Satan. Amazing how such a simple topic could stir up so many thoughts and emotions inside of me. Nevertheless I sat through the meeting nodding where appropriate and bringing up a few contrasting views here and there. Only when I was back in the car heading back home did I realise that I didn't know my God and if my God was the one I'd learnt about from my Christian Religion, the God who would condemn a good person because he was a Muslim or a Hindu, then I'd disagree with him on certain things. But thankfully I believe that's not who God is, he is more righteous than that and I want to know him, to form a relationship with him and to love him.
But how...how to start...


1 comments:

Sahara187 said...

Errr...sucks I missed out...
Im just throwing out thoughts for you:
I cant determine whether youre being sincere about developing this relationship with Him (because I dont know your intents and other things although God does) but I can only take your words to be truth here. This relationship does not come over night. It's a lengthy process and requires work just like any other human relationship would but you have to be willing to work at it. It starts simply by praying to Him and taking the time out to listen for Him as well. It really has a simple formula.

Post a Comment