Friday, January 1, 2010

The Host

The Host is finished, at 2 o'clock on New Years morning. I loved it. For once finishing a book wasn't that bad because I know that Stephanie Meyer intends to release two sequels to The Host, although the wait may kill me.


For those who think Stephanie Meyer books like the Twilight Saga are for girls (and I have no idea where that rubbish originated from) I'll have you know that it was a group of guys that first attacked me with them, insisting that I read them. Besides, can any well written, best-selling book be truly classified for one sex? That's just ridiculous.
So The Host did have a bit of a mushy love story involved though it didn't overwhelm the book the way it did in Twilight. It tells the story of a soul, a wormlike alien parasite whose race has taken over the world, who finds herself in a resistant adult host. The host's name is Melanie Stryder and she will not be erased. Melanie fills Wanderer's head with images of her love Jared and little brother Jamie (Wanderer is the soul by the way). Due to her human emotions, Wanderer falls in love with Jared and Jamie from these memories. She sets out to find them in the desert where supposedly there is a human resistance in hiding and Melanie and Wanderer befriend each other. On the brink of death, thirsty and starving, they are found by the humans and taken to their underground fortress in a cave system. At first they are kept as prisoners but soon they are integrated into the society and make a few close friends. The story is centered around Wanda's experiences living in the human society and her 'betrayal' of the souls' way of life as well as colonization mission.
It was amazing - Read It!! Can't wait for the other two.
So I'm starting The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman today. And to add to the previous list of books that I have to read, my Dad's friend gave me Blink by Malcom Gladwell. I've read Gladwell's Outliers and was intrigued by the ideas there so I'm excited to read this one.

3 comments:

Moccasins and Headphones said...

I completely agree with you about this book! My brother was the first to recommend it to me and when I was done reading (which didn't take long, I could hardly put it down t'ill the end), my father asked if he could borrow it. I had no idea about the sequel and now I'm itching for it to come out. Well written :)
-Moccasins

Levi said...

Yeh It's great isn't it! I can't wait for the sequels either. Thanks!

Sully said...

lol me to i thought the host was great and cant wait for the next one to come out and i COMPLETELY support your view with the twilight saga, i find it stupid that just because its a love story it therefore only is made for prince-loving girls that always need a guy in their life im glad that guys r reading it to, it may not be my favorite series but its pretty high up there

Post a Comment