Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Best Book I Have Ever Read...

Okay I've been wanting to scream this for the last couple of weeks, (I wasn't getting as much reading time as I'd hoped) but I resolved to do this only after having completely finished the book.
The Book Thief is the Best Book I Have Ever Read in my 14 years of being on this Earth. 

The story is well... different. Set in Nazi Germany, the main character, Liesel, simply lives her life haunted by her dead brother, suffering birth mother and the lost Jew but finding refuge in the words; those in books,  or those of her father and mother (Saumensch mainly :)  ) and her best friend Rudy. The plot progresses nicely but seems to be more a collection of events in Liesel's life a opposed to a main conflict and it frankly works quite well.
The story is narrated by Death. Not the big bad scary Death but the haunted, vulnerable, tired Death. The Death who is haunted by humans. That was an ingenious idea on Zusak's part.
Oh well you simply MUST read this book so let me not spoil it too much.
So go out later, walk into a bookstore and buy it... TODAY :D

4 comments:

Kabeer said...

lol yeh i remember u talking about it a while ago. looks good i might buy it

Kabeer said...

btw that word verification thing every time i post a comment is hella annoying lol

GOALs69 said...

Was it good? I pick it up, walk around with it, and ultimately end up putting it down again. :( I don't know of anyone that read it, so I didn't buy it. Maybe next time I'm in the bookstore i'll get it :)

Levi said...

You should Jeremy, well that is if you're into fiction. I just read lots of novels like that so...

Post a Comment